Friday, June 25, 2010

A Simple Kind Of Life

I spend more than 40 hours of my week in front of a computer at a desk fielding e-mails and phone calls, shuffling paperwork and trying to ignore the incessant noise of gridlocked traffic on the street below. Then there's the time-suck that is social media and my love/hate relationship with Facebook, a hungry husband at home who forgets to eat when I'm not around, a ringing cell phone, friends, family...all these things vying for my attention!

I feel like the Grinch: "One thing I can't stand is the noise, noise, noise, noise!"

The frenetic lifestyle is not without its affects on all of us, according to a new book by Nicholas Carr. In "The Shallows," he argues the Internet has rewired our brains to where we gobble more information like computers and lose hold of our grip on what it means to be human, according to the NPR review.

But M.J., you say, are you having a nervous breakdown? What does all this have to do with Barbies?

Maybe, and I'll tell you.

Some of my happiest childhood memories include sitting in my parents' basement playing with my dolls. It was just me, the dolls, a bucket-load of dresses and accessories, and a few plastic brushes. That was all I needed to by happy and content. No video games, cell phones or Internet.

To be able to find that kind of time again to spend hours quietly with my dolls (or anything, really)–unimaginable.

1 comment:

  1. Hi ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ !!
    Congratulations on your very Nice Blog!!
    I have 10 years old and I have a Blog too.
    Could you also visit my Blog and FOLLOW Please and I'd do the same to yours.
    http://pimbolinda.blogspot.com
    Thanks
    ::: (\(\
    *: (=’ :’) :*
    •.. (,(”)(”)¤°
    ☆¸.•*¨*`•.ђคשε ค ηï¢ε đคу ¸.•*¨*`•.¸☆ Pimbolinda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog!